Have just created a new category on this blog, which shall contain posts exclusively about some of the best apps out there.
And let me inaugurate this category with one such software I cannot live without. It goes by the name Notepad++ and it could very well have been called Notepad++++ !!
For those of you not aware of this great application, Notepad++ is a free Notepad replacement for Windows, which supports several programming languages.
It comes with a huge list of features:
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- User Defined Syntax Highlighting
- Regular Expression Search/Replace supported
- Full Drag ‘N’ Drop supported
- Dynamic position of Views
- File Status Auto-detection
- Zoom in and zoom out
- Multi-Language environment supported
- Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting
- Macro recording and playback
You can get a detailed explanation of the features from their site.
Few things that I really can’t live without is the multi-document, syntax highlighting and the brace and indent guideline highlighting.
All my PHP and a good deal of HTML development work takes place exclusively in Notepad++.
Non-English users too have nothing to complaint about, because the software also comes in several languages.
You also fantastic Find & Replace features, including the very important Find in Files, which you can use if you are searching for a specific string in a whole folder. This can however do with some improment.