Note: This is NOT a paid review. However, links in this post are affiliate links.
Are you afraid to login to you email account because of the dreaded amount of spam you see? Are you fed up of receiving tonnes of email informing you of a product you will never buy, a service you will never use. What about the whole truckload of junk selling you drugs to improve your masculinity? Not to mention those that implore you play some online games? Spending more time deleting emails than actually reading some?
Well, simply put you are just fed up of the junk you receive and are looking for some way to put an end to it!
Enter Spam Arrest.
How does it work?
Spam Arrest acts as a program (actually a service) that sits between your email address and you. It acts as an email server that verifies all incoming mail before it lands in your inbox.
With Spam Arrest, you can continue to use your current email address and email program (such as Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora or Thunderbird), or use their online webmail system to access your email from anywhere.
Here is how it works:
- You signup and create your Spam Arrest account so that you can receive email either at [email protected] or [email protected]
- Someone sends you an email that arrives at yourdomain.com
- Spam Arrest checks your mail server and downloads the email. This can be setup to be done automatically or manually
- If the sender is in your address book or on the authorized senders’ list, their email is sent to your INBOX
- Emails from unknown senders are downloaded to your UNVERIFIED folder. Sender will receive an auto-reply message containing a “challenge” like mine below
- The sender clicks on the link in the message and gets added to the authorized senders’ list
- The email gets moved to the INBOX
- Any future emails from this sender will land in your INBOX
Thanks for mailing me. You just got one more step for the email to reach me.
I’m just protecting myself from junk email. Please verify your email address by following the instructions in this mail.
Thanks. You won’t have to do this again 🙂
Since the signup process requires a manual clicking on the link, spam cannot reach your inbox.
I’m currently using Spam Arrest Light which I use to check email on my MegaThemes site where I do not have spam protection enabled.
Unfortunately, I don’t think this service is offered any more.
What you can get today is a 30 day trial where you can evaluate Spam Arrest before you purchase a subscription.
Spam Arrest has four subscription options:
$3.95 per month, $19.95 for 6 months, $34.95 for 1 year, or $54.95 for 2 years of our 100% effective spam blocking service. These amounts are in USD, and may be paid via card, check or money order.
They also have a Windows application that makes it a snap for Outlook, Outlook Express, and Eudora users to signup for Spam Arrest.
And if you are looking to make some money, they also offer an affiliate program.
At a glance:
- No software needed to be installed
- Process is automatic. You do not have to manually send any emails
- You can add senders to the authorized list as well as a blocked list
- It supports receipt of email from mailing lists and groups
- Access your email through your mail program like Outlook Express or use their Webmail interface.
- They provide SPF and Antivirus scanning.
- Protect upto three POP mailboxes.
- They offer a 30-day free trial
- Going through the Spam Arrest server is slower
- There are privacy and security implications as you will be entering your popserver, username and password
- When protecting more than one POP mailboxes, the fetched emails are mixed up and no longer retain their original source
- Unfortunately, it is not FREE 🙁
I suggest giving the 30-day free trial a shot. If it works for you, you can always use it on a month-by-month basis. If you get bored of it, you can always stop :). If you like it, go in for the yearly subscription.
As for me, I will continue to use the Spam Arrest Light service until they discontinue it or I feel the need to switch to their paid version 🙂