It would be more appropriate to have used the word “ordered” but I think “bought” shall pass. I also intended to post the details later but demand for the same has prompted this post.
I’ve never been a laptop person. I find them too cumbersome and prefer the computer with all it’s individual units. However, MBA makes it necessary for me to have a laptop and so I began my hunt for the same.
I had my eye on three brands viz. Dell, Lenovo and HP Compaq. Dell has a shipping duration of almost a month, while I believe Lenovo and HP are quicker in this respect. But, since I had time in my hands Dell was a good option. Have also received good feedback about Dell from two of my friends. Lenovo bought the IBM Think brand so I guess those are good. And my experience with HP Laptops has also been good.
So the main deciding factor was price in which Dell definitely beat the others.
Enough background details, here is the configuration of the laptop I picked up.
- Dell InspironTM 6400 Notebook
- Intel® CoreTM2 Duo Processor T5500; 1.66 GHz, 2MB Cache, 667 MHz FSB
- Genuine Windows VistaTM Home Basic 32 bit (English)
- Intel® 945 Chipset
- 120 GB SATA Hard Drive
- 15.4" Wide Screen XGA TFT Display
- 1024MB (2 X 512MB) DDR2 SDRAM
- 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7300 TurboCache
- Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Combination Drive with dual layer write capabilities
- DellTM Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module
- Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 Dual Band 802.11a/g 5 4Mbps Wireless Mini Card
- 90W AC Adapter
- 6-cell 53Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery
- Internal 56K Modem
I was able to get the laptop for around Rs. 62,000 including taxes. Dell had a special promo running wherein I saved nearly 10,000 because I got an extra 512MB RAM, the DVD Writer and Rs. 4000 off!
I also made sure I took the 256MB GeForce card to ensure that the laptop stays top speed even if I graduate to higher versions of Windows Vista in the future.