Contextual Related Posts is a powerful plugin for WordPress that allows you to display a list of related posts on your website and in your feed.
The list is based on the content of the title and/or content of the posts which makes them more relevant and more likely to be of interest to your readers. This allows you to retain visitors, reduce bounce rates and refresh old entries.
Contextual Related Posts is one of the most feature rich related posts plugins for WordPress with support for thumbnails, shortcodes, widgets, custom post types, caching and CSS styles.
- Automatic: CRP will start displaying related posts on your site and feed automatically after the content when you activate the plugin. No need to edit template files
- Manual install: Want more control over placement? Check the FAQ on which functions are available for manual install.
- Widgets: Add related posts to widgetized area of your theme. Lots of options available
- Shortcode: Use
[ crp ](no spaces) to display the posts anywhere you want in the post content
- The algorithm: Find related posts by title and/or content of the current post
- Caching: Related posts output is automatically cached as visitors browse through your site
- Exclusions: Exclude posts from categories from being displayed in the list. Or you can exclude posts or pages by ID
- Custom post types: The related posts list lets you include posts, pages, attachments or any other custom post type!
- Thumbnail support:
- Support for WordPress post thumbnails
- Auto-extract the first image in your post to be displayed as a thumbnail
- Manually enter the URL of the thumbnail via WordPress meta fields
- Use timthumb to resize images or use your own filter function to resize post images
- Styles: The output is wrapped in CSS classes which allows you to easily style the list. You can enter your custom CSS styles from within WordPress Admin area
- Customisable output:
- Display excerpts in post. You can select the length of the excerpt in words
- Customise which HTML tags to use for displaying the output in case you don’t prefer the default
- WordPress 3.0 or above
- Download Contextual Related Posts
- Extract the contents of
wp-content/plugins/folder. You should get a folder called
- Activate the Plugin in WP-Admin
- Goto Settings > Related Posts to configure
- Optionally visit the Custom Styles tab to add any custom CSS styles. These are added to
wp_headon the pages where the posts are displayed
Below are screenshots of the options available in the Settings screen
CRP options in WP-Admin - General options
CRP options in WP-Admin - Output options
CRP options in WP-Admin - Feed options
CRP options in WP-Admin - Custom styles
Contextual Related Post metabox in the Edit Posts screen
If you disable automatic display of related posts please add
ald_crp')) echo_ald_crp(); ?> to your template file where you want the related posts to be displayed.
- New: Meta box on the Edit Posts, Pages and custom post type pages to easily add the location of the URL of the thumbnail image
- Modified: Refined match title algorithm. Previously this would match the post title with both the title and content
- Modified: Widget initialisation
- Modified: Massive code cleanup and more documentation in the WordPress settings page
- New: Added w.org and github.com to list of allowed sites for timthumb
Read previous entries in the changelog.
Support the Development
Writing and testing plugins takes a good amount of time. If you like the plugin and find it useful and would like to donate something for my work please do click the Paypal Donate button below. The payment is secure. I haven’t filled in any amount. Feel free to donate what you please. Any amount is welcome. Thank you
All files and their contents are licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL).
Questions or Bugs
Please use the support forum if you have any questions or would like to report any bugs.
The following translations are available:
- Chinese by Woniuren
- Danish by Team Blogos
- Dutch by WPwebshop
- Italian by Gianni
- Latvian by Johannes
- Russian by DachaDecor
- Spanish by Octavio
If you would like to make available a translation for the plugin, please do drop me an email.