Have you seen Amazon.com’s product pages? Amazon is a great example of visitor retention through recommendations. All of Amazon’s pages have a “Customers who viewed this also viewed”. And how many times have you clicked those links?
Would you like to implement the same feature on your WordPress blog?
Where did you go from here is a feature rich WordPress plugin that will show “Readers who viewed this page, also viewed” links on your page.
The plugin will track what pages or posts visitors on your sites click through and will display this list for the corresponding post. What better way to retain users than to show them exactly what real people are visiting.
How it works?
When a visitor views a blog post, the plugin checks to see if the referrer is another blog post on your site. If this is the case, then the referring post is updated with a reference to this post. And, the process continues as the visitor moves through the blog.
Thus, each post will display a list of links that other visitors went through from here. Hence, the name of the plugin!
You may wish to check out my other plugin Contextual Related Posts that finds related posts based on the content of your current post.
- Automatic: The plugin will start displaying visited posts on your site and feed automatically after the content when you activate the plugin. No need to edit template files
- Manual install: Want more control over placement? Check the FAQ on which functions are available for manual install.
- Tracking: Find out what visitors are looking at on your site by observing which posts they visit
- Exclusions: Exclude select posts and pages from the list of posts. Exclude posts from select categories from the list of posts
- Custom post types: The visited posts list lets you include posts, pages, attachments or any other custom post type!
- Styles: The output is wrapped in CSS classes which allows you to easily style the list. You can enter your custom CSS styles from within WordPress Admin area
- Customisable output:
- Display excerpts in post. You can select the length of the excerpt in words
- Customise which HTML tags to use for displaying the output in case you don’t prefer the default
- Thumbnail support:
- Support for WordPress post thumbnails
- Auto-extract the first image in your post to be displayed as a thumbnail
- Manually enter the URL of the thumbnail via WordPress meta fields
- Use timthumb to resize images or use your own filter function to resize post images
- WordPress 3.0 or above
- Download Where did they go from here?.
- Extract the contents of
wp-content/plugins/folder. You should get a folder called
- Activate the Plugin in WP-Admin.
- Goto Options > Where did they go to configure.
Below are screenshots of the options available in the Settings screen
Options in WP-Admin - General options
Options in WP-Admin - Output options
Options in WP-Admin - Feed options
Options in WP-Admin - Custom styles
Edit list of followed posts in the Write Screen
If you choose to not use the automatic install, you will need to add
<?php if(function_exists('echo_ald_wherego')) echo_ald_wherego(); ?>.
- New: Fixed bug with
echo_ald_wheregointroduced in v1.7
- New: You can now view the default image in the options page
wherego_postimagefilter now accepts the 6th attribute which is the post object. This can allow for custom functions that allow you to dynamically modify the image you wish to use as the thumbnail.
Read previous entries in the changelog.
Support the Development
Writing and testing plugins takes a good amount of time. If you like the plugin and find it useful and would like to donate something for my work please do click the Paypal Donate button below. The payment is secure. I haven’t filled in any amount. Feel free to donate what you please. Any amount is welcome. Thank you
All files and their contents are licensed under the GPL v2 or greater.
Questions or Bugs
If you have any questions or would like to report any bugs then please use the support forum.
The following translations are available:
- Belarusian by Web Hosting Geeks
- Dutch by WPwebshop
- Italian by Gianni
- Latvia by Johannes Rau
- Russian by Artem
If you would like to make available a translation for the plugin, please do drop me an email.